Terms of Service
Stratanet's Acceptable Use Policy (“AUP”) is intended to help enhance the use of the Internet by preventing unacceptable use. All users of Stratanet's Internet services (the “Services”)—those who access some of our Services but do not have accounts (“Visitors”) as well as those who pay a monthly service fee to subscribe to the Services (“Members”)—must comply with this AUP.
2. VIOLATIONS OF STRATANET'S ACCEPTABLE USE POLICY
The following constitute violations of this AUP:
- a. Illegal use. Using the Services to transmit any material (by email, uploading, posting, or otherwise) that, intentionally or unintentionally, violates any applicable local, state, national, or international law, or any rules or regulations promulgated thereunder.
- b. Harm to minors. Using the Services to harm, or attempt to harm, minors in any way.
- c. Threats. Using the Services to transmit any material (by email, uploading, posting, or otherwise) that threatens or encourages bodily harm or destruction of property.
- d. Harassment. Using the Services to transmit any material (by email, uploading, posting, or otherwise) that harasses another.
- e. Fraudulent activity. Using the Services to making fraudulent offers to sell or buy products, items, or services, or to advance any type of financial scam such as “pyramid schemes,” “ponzi schemes,” and “chain letters.”
- f. Forgery or impersonation. Adding, removing, or modifying identifying network header information in an effort to deceive or mislead is prohibited. Attempting to impersonate any person by using forged headers or other identifying information is prohibited. The use of anonymous remailers or nicknames does not constitute impersonation. Using deliberately misleading headers (“munging” headers) in news postings in order to avoid spam email address collectors is allowed.
- g. Unsolicited commercial email/ Unsolicited bulk email. Using the Services to transmit any unsolicited commercial email or unsolicited bulk email. Activities that have the effect of facilitating unsolicited commercial email or unsolicited bulk email whether or not that email is commercial in nature, are prohibited.
- h. Unauthorized access. Using the Services to access, or to attempt to access, the accounts of others, or to penetrate, or attempt to penetrate, security measures of Stratanet's or another entity’s computer software or hardware, electronic communications system, or telecommunications system, whether or not the intrusion results in the corruption or loss of data.
- i. Copyright or trademark infringement. Using the Services to transmit any material (by email, uploading, posting, or otherwise) that infringes any copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, or other proprietary rights of any third party, including, but not limited to, the unauthorized copying of copyrighted material, the digitization and distribution of photographs from magazines, books, or other copyrighted sources, and the unauthorized transmittal of copyrighted software.
- j. Collection of personal data. Using the Services to collect, or attempt to collect, personal information about third parties without their knowledge or consent.
- k. Reselling the services. Reselling the Services without Stratanet's authorization.
- l. Network disruptions and unfriendly activity. Using the Services for any activity which adversely affects the ability of other people or systems to use Stratanet's Services or the Internet. This includes "denial of service" (DoS) attacks against another network host or individual user. Interference with or disruption of other network users, network services, or network equipment is prohibited. It is the Member's responsibility to ensure that their network is configured in a secure manner. A Member may not, through action or inaction, allow others to use their network for illegal or inappropriate actions. A Member may not permit their network, through action or inaction, to be configured in such a way that gives a third party the capability to use their network in an illegal or inappropriate manner.
- m. News. Stratanet Members should use their best judgment when posting to any newsgroup. Many groups have charters, published guidelines, FAQs, or "community standards" describing what is and is not considered appropriate. Usenet can be a valuable resource if used properly. The continued posting of off-topic articles is prohibited. Commercial advertisements are off-topic in most newsgroups, especially regional groups not specifically named for such. The presence of such articles in a group is not indicative of the group's "intended" use. Please familiarize yourself with basic USENET netiquette before posting to a newsgroup. Stratanet considers "multiposting" to 10 or more groups within a two-week sliding window to be excessive. Stratanet servers currently limit the number of allowable "cross-posts" to 9.
Stratanet Members may not cancel messages other than their own messages. A Member may cancel posts forged in that Member's name. We may cancel any postings which violate this AUP.
- n. Long Connections and Multiple Logins. Using a personal account for high volume or commercial use is prohibited. The Services are intended for periodic, active use of email, newsgroups, file transfers, Internet chat, games, and browsing the World Wide Web. Members may stay connected so long as they are actively using that connection for the above purposes. Members may not use the Services on a standby or inactive basis in order to maintain a connection. Pinging is expressly prohibited. Accordingly, Stratanet maintains the right to terminate any member’s connection following any extended period of inactivity as determined by Stratanet.
3. REPORTING VIOLATIONS OF STRATANET'S AND STARTZ.NET'S AUP
Stratanet requests that anyone who believes that there is a violation of this AUP direct the information to Director-Abuse Department, at:email@example.com
If available, please provide the following information:
- .: The IP address used to commit the alleged violation
- .: The date and time of the alleged violation, including the time zone or offset from GMT
- .: Evidence of the alleged violation
Email with full header information provides all of the above, as do syslog files. Other situations will require different methods of providing the above information.
Stratanet may take any one or more of the following actions in response to complaints:
- .: issue written or verbal warnings
- .: issue written or verbal warnings
- .: suspend the Member's newsgroup posting privileges
- .: suspend the Member's account
- .: terminate the Member's account
- .: bill the Member for administrative costs and/or reactivation charges
- .: bring legal action to enjoin violations and/or to collect damages, if any, caused by violations.
REVISIONS TO THIS ACCEPTABLE USE POLICY
Stratanet reserves the right to revise, amend, or modify this AUP, and our other policies and agreements at any time and in any manner. Notice of any revision, amendment, or modification will be posted in accordance with the Terms and Conditions
News and Updates
As of 2008, we are no longer accepting new customers. If you have questions about or need support for your site currently hosted by Stratanet, please visit the Contact Us page.